One Wicked Birthday
Columbus! Something New 8.21.16
We had a great time at the SEA Change Festival on Saturday. This was a festival designed to feature Columbus's social entrepreneurs. Most stayed after Saturday's rain, and we were happy to get to know some businesses new to us.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore was there and talked with us about their nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, appliances, home accessories, building materials and more to the public at a fraction of the retail price. There are two locations here in the Columbus area
- Nature's Touch Landscaping & Lawn Care provides quality residential and commercial landscaping services in an effort to employ disadvantaged individuals.
- Food for Good Thought employs individuals with autism. Each client is either employed at their bakery or assisted in finding community employment.
- Pack H2O water backpack is a personal transportation and storage solution that promotes safe water practices.
- Abe's Kitchen was a participant of Columbus Soup when Burke and I attended earlier this year. This is a pop up meal service provider in food deserts of Columbus serving Healthy, Economical, Accessible and Tasty meals.
These are just a few of the many social entrepreneurs that call Columbus home! We hope to connect you to many more in future podcasts!
After leaving the SEA Change Festival, we walked through Matsuricon. Matsuricon is an annual Japanese pop-culture event that focuses primarily on Japanese animation (known as “anime”), manga (Japanese graphic novels), and video games.Typically my daughter is one to cosplay, dressing in a costume of a favorite character, however this year her costume jacket did not arrive. Pretty upsetting! But we strolled through looking at cosplayers.
Wicked the Musical was Sunday. A wonderful way to celebrate my birthday! I had won tickets and we had unimaginable seats! Not only was it beautiful to see, the singing and music were strong and lovely at the same time. I cannot say enough about Wicked and hope you get to see the magic!
We love talking about up and coming events in Columbus. Here are links to help you plan ahead!
- Thu-Sat Aug 25-27: Arch City Comedy Festival
- Thu-Sun Aug 25-28: Obetz Zucchini Festival
- Fri Aug 26: Craft Brew at the Zoo
- Fri Aug 26: PupArt
- Fri Aug 26: Mount Carmel St. Ann’s 4th Friday: Dog Days of Summer
- Sat Aug 27: Columbus Motor Speedway Zuccini Day
- Sat Aug 27: Lobster Roll Days at the Hills Market Worthington
- Sat & Sun Aug 27-28: Urban Scrawl 10
- Sun Aug 28: Merion Village Festival
C!SN is always happy to feature the music of Captain Kidd!